This privacy notice has been compiled to help you understand why we ask you for your personal information when you use one of our websites and how we will use this information.
This policy applies to
All our website visitors and mobile app users.
Whether registered or not, including people responding to surveys, competitions and writing reviews. In addition, we may ask you for your personal details at one of the Study Query sponsored events, student's fairs etc. We will always explain the purpose of our data collection before we ask you for your personal details.
What information do we collect about you?
- Your first and last name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Phone number
- Residential address
- Education history & achievements
You can browse our websites without providing any personal information, however if you would like the enhanced website experience and thus make an enquiry to a course provider, or apply for a course, you will need to register with us.
In most of these instances we will ask for your name and email address only. You can then log in to the website and complete your profile if you wish. When applying for a course, for delivery and payment purposes, we will ask for your postal address as well.
How we use your information?
Cookies are used to help us:
- Understand and save user's preferences for future personalised user experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and products in which you are most interested.
- Keep track of advertisements.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future.
- You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser (like Internet Explorer) settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser's Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
- If you disable cookies, some features that make your site experience more efficient will be disabled and some of our services will not function properly.
- You can find out more about how we use our cookies by contacting us on email@example.com
To send periodic emails about competitions, promotions, surveys and competitions we're conducting.
When users have made an enquiry (i.e. asked a question) to a university through us, we may provide your details to the university so they can respond to you.
When users download a prospectus from our site, your details are shared with the university whose prospectus you've downloaded so they can follow up with you if necessary and offer further assistance.
If users apply to a university through us, your information is used by us to help you with your application.
When you find a course you like on one of our websites, you can either request more details from the course provider or, if the option is available, apply the course directly.
You can change your communication preference with us at any point, by logging in to our website or by following the instructions at the bottom of each email you receive from us. You can also update your contact details by logging in to our website. These contact details are used to respond to your enquiries or, put you in touch with the course provider you are interested in.
When you find a course you like on one of our websites, you can either request more details from the course provider or, if the option is available, speak to us directly or request a call back.
Disclosure of personal information
In many circumstances we will not disclose personal data without your consent unless required by law.
Another instance when we may share your personal information is when you make an enquiry to a course provider though our website - we may pass on your contact details to the course provider so that they can contact you directly.
Links to other websites
On our website there are lots of links to course provider websites. This privacy notice does not cover these links. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated on 14th July 2016.
Access to your personal Information
We would like to be as transparent as possible in terms of giving you access to your personal information. You find out if we hold any personal information by making a 'subject access request' under the Data Protection Act 1998. If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you why we are holding it;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
To make a request for any personal information we may hold you need to put the request in writing addressing it to our Data Protection Officer, or, by writing to us on the below email address. There may be a charge of $20 for this service.
If we do hold information about you, you can ask us to correct any mistakes by contacting the Data Protection Officer or by logging in to our website and updating your information.
If you wish to stop receiving regular course updates, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can unsubscribe by clicking on the unsubscribe link in each email you receive from us. If you wish to delete your details completely, please email us at email@example.com.
How to contact us